Monday, 26 June 2017 14:14

Earthcore's end?

ORGANISERS of the Earthcore dance festival have slammed Mitchell Shire Council’s actions in refusing to grant consent for the 2017 festival to go ahead.
Earthcore chief, Spiro Boursine, has vowed to take the decision to VCAT with the intention of ‘exposing flaws in the due process’.
“We want a fair and we also have a backup venue in place in another shire like we do every year so the show will go on regardless,” Mr Boursine told the North Central Review.
The matter was discussed at the June council meeting with not one councillor speaking in favour of the festival going ahead.
Following the meeting a Mitchell Shire Council spokesperson said that council issued a permit for Earthcore 2016 with an option, subject to further written consent from Council, for an event from November 30 to December 4, 2017.
“Council is mindful of the impact on local community groups and businesses who rely on the funds from the event, but the concerns are too serious to be ignored,” the spokesperson said.
“The 2017 event would be subject to satisfactory compliance with the 2016 permit conditions, a post event review, updated plans and a written request being made by March 30, 2017,”
The spokesperson added that the applicant did not meet critical permit conditions last year and that updated plans did not adequately identify concerns raised and Victoria Police did not support the event. Read more in this week's NORTH CENTRAL REVIEW.
Last modified on Monday, 26 June 2017 14:23